How we help enrich lives
If we are going to help our residents live better, then it is our responsibility to offer them every opportunity to be actively engaged and involved. At Extendicare York, we provide social and recreational services seven days a week - including holidays. These services are designed to meet the physical, emotional, spiritual, and intellectual needs of our residents. All activities are developed, organized and led by qualified staff and we offer both group and individualized services to meet residents’ unique needs and circumstances. Examples of our recreational services and activities include:
- “Bar and Tuck” Night: Every Friday night is “Bar and Tuck” night where residents and family members can enjoy a beverage and listen to live entertainment provided by local bands.
- Music and Memory: Through our Music and Memory program, residents living with dementia can have their own personal playlist loaded on an iPod and listen with earphones to their favourite music.
- “Wall of Thanks” : During Thanksgiving, we create our “Wall of Thanks” where residents post messages stating all the things for which they are thankful.
- Summer Barbeques: We have regular barbecues throughout the warm weather for residents, staff and family members and all funds go to the Residents Council to fund future activities and events.
- Bingo: Bingo is hugely popular in our home and there are regular weekly games that our residents really enjoy.
- Computer Access: We have a resident designated computer for Skyping with family members and friends who don’t live close by and can’t visit regularly.
We also offer a wide range of physiotherapy, cognitive, speech and occupational therapies according to the needs of our residents. Currently we offer:
- Registered Respiratory Therapist
- Occupational Therapist
- Speech Therapist